Sunday, May 27, 2012

Remember these?


Way back when, I decided to embark on a mission to make some faux-buffalo chip cookies, and in the last couple of weeks before finals, I settled on something close.

Adjustments I made from the very beginning to what I've got now:
  • less sugar because mine spread too much. Instead of a cup of brown and a cup of white, we're down to 3/4 cup brown and 1 cup powdered sugar. Powdered sugar? In a cookie? Yes, because somewhere along the line I decided the texture of these cookies was something like Mexican wedding cookies, which use powdered sugar. I'll stop now - I can hear you getting bored.
  • more salt because it makes me happy. Also because there's enough sweet stuff in these cookies to singlehandedly give you a cavity. A little salt is nice.
  • more flour because they were just too wet.
  • different mix-in levels, for accuracy's sake.
  • one other important distinction: you may recall the day that I unsweetened some sweetened coconut and was pleasantly surprised when I didn't get a call from maintenance telling me our bathroom pipes were clogged with coconut. No? Well, I do. In any case, I used the extra sweetness from the sweetened coconut as an excuse to nix some more of the sugar. Did it make a difference? Who knows.
In any case. We're here now, and I like cookies. These are some nice little guys. They're not identical to the original, but you know, these are darn good little suckers, and this way you get to eat the dough. Priorities, people.

2 sticks butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar (NOTE: I used 1 1/4 cups sugar + 1 1/2 T. molasses)
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 3/4 cups cornflakes
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup Heath bar pieces/toffee chips
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add in eggs and vanilla. Whisk together all dry ingredients, then add them. Add oats, cornflakes, chocolate chips, toffee chips, pecans, and coconut. Scoop. Use an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment. Bake at 375 degrees for 16 minutes or until you poke them and, while they don't like it, they don't poke back. That's how you know.


**Also: these make a crazy ton of cookies. Like 64 if you make the dough balls the size of golf balls. Go easy or make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment