Monday, November 7, 2011

Mozart was crazy.

Really though. I've spent a good chunk of the last few days working on memorizing the first movement of one of his sonatas, and oof. He doesn't make it easy.

Coincidentally, neither does my piano teacher. When he first introduced to me his method of memorizing, I thought he was nuts.  Here's how it goes:
1. Starting at the end of the piece, split the whole thing up into nice little chunks.  (My Mozart now has 24.)
2. Starting at the end, memorize one little chunk at a time.
3. Know them well enough that he could ask me to play section 7 or 16 or 22 or whatever and I wouldn't have to think twice. 

The good news: I'm actually almost there because Mozart's simplicity is both a blessing and a curse.  Sections 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, and 15 are nearly identical to sections 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. You know, except for the fact that they're in different keys. And random chords are missing certain notes. (For those of you who are in no way musically inclined, think of every run-through of the piece as a perpetual state of déjà vu.)

I really don't have all that much to say, other than that it's frustrating but twistedly fun and surprisingly productive.  So I guess I can't complain, but it looks like I just did. Oopsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment